MLB News Index
- The Red Sox endured the early body blow of a grand slam by Cincinnati's Scooter Gennett and then stormed back with big hits and clutch relief to pull out a 5-4 victory over the Reds on Friday night that reduced their magic number for clinching the American League East to six.
- With a three-run shot in the third inning Friday vs. the Giants, Dodgers sensation Cody Bellinger launched his 39th homer of the season, setting the single-season mark for home runs by a National League rookie.
- Watch on MLB.TV and blackout-free on Facebook as the Padres host the Rockies, who are clinging to a slim lead for the second NL Wild Card spot.
- Yuli Gurriel broke up a scoreless game with a three-run home run in the seventh inning, and Justin Verlander and two relievers combined on a shutout in the Astros' 3-0 win Friday night at Minute Maid Park, sending the Angels 3 1/2 games behind the Twins for the second American League Wild Card spot.
- Ryan Goins pulled off a hidden ball trick that caught Todd Frazier napping, then slugged a grand slam that ended Masahiro Tanaka's night as the Blue Jays trounced the Yankees, 8-1, on Friday evening at Rogers Centre.